Advent 2022 begins a little earlier this year on NOVEMBER 27th.
These four Sundays before Christmas mark:
- A season of hope and longing for the world to be set to rights
- A season of preparation for the 12-day season of Christmas
- The beginning of a new church year that follows the life of Christ (we begin YEAR 'A' in our three-year reading cycle)
Advent is a season of serious spiritual work.
How will you do that this year?
What do you need to deepen your relationship with God?
I invite you to make church a priority in this time alongside your daily practice of prayer. You might make use of a prayer app like "Pray as you Go" or "Daily Prayer", and we will also be setting out paper copies of an advent daily prayer book in the narthex.
As well, please make the following events a priority in your Advent spiritual process:
- The four Sundays of Advent 10am as we light the Advent wreath (Online folks, why not have your own advent wreath at home to light?!)
- ADVENT GIVING: We will be collecting in two streams - a) food items for the Food Bank to be brought Sunday morning and placed up by the altar, and b) donations for Primate's World Relief Development Foundation (PWRDF) our Anglican relief agency. PWRDF is running its World of Gifts again and we're going to 'fill a stable' with gifts for others this Advent! Donations will be tallied weekly, so let's see what we can do together!
- 3 Advent Wednesdays Church Family Prayers on Zoom 7pm-7:30pm on (usual zoom link will be sent out weekly. Dates are Nov 30th, Dec. 7th, 21st excluding the 14th for the L'Arche Pageant)
- The L'Arche Christmas Pageant on the evening of December 14th please let Rev. Jonathan know if you would like to join with them, a few spots are available.
- Sunday Service of Lessons and Carols, December 18th, 10am. A festive service of 9 readings and responding music. Please let rev. Jonathan or Megan know if you would like to read or offer music on that day.
- Christmas Eve Service I - 4pm, a simple, kid-approachable candlelight Communion service. Want to help out? Let Rev. Jonathan know as he will need 5-6 helpers for the sermon activity.
- Christmas Eve Service II, 9pm Carols Sing, 9:30pm Candlelight Holy Communion. Lauretta H. is organizing some goodies for after the service contact her to help out.
- Christmas Day Service 9am simple communion service.
- 12 Days of Christmas. Jesus is born - let us celebrate and make these days special in our homes and families.
- Twelfth Night Celebration. We close off our Christmas celebration with this ancient tradition. Thursday January 5th, 5:30pm community potluck and Evening Prayer. Yes, we will sing the song :) Bring a main course or dessert or your leftover xmas treats. Anyone want to make us a big pot of Wassail?
- We celebrate the Epiphany in church that Sunday January 8th.