EIGHTEENTH Sunday after pentecost
Sept. 18, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable copy here: sept-18-2016
8:00AM SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost
Jeremiah 8: 18 – 9:1
Psalm 79: 1 – 9
1 Timothy 2: 1 – 7
Luke 16: 1 – 13
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost
Jeremiah 32:1-3a, 6-15
Psalm 91:1-6, 14-16
1 Timothy 6:6-19
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- Remember how we went to Grace United in June? Coming up on September 25th at 10am we are hosting their whole congregation at St. Augustine’s! For some extra snacks after the service, please bring a favorite square or coffee cake to share.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting on Tuesday, September 20th.
- AUGUSTINE’S – SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17 @ 8:00 PM – A live stream of Alana Levandoski’s Santa Monica release of her new album “Sanctuary”. Our choir frequently sings Alana’s music at the 10:00am service. Everyone welcome.
- Simple Supper – Friday, September 30th at 5:30. Come and bring a friend. (Fund raiser for GANG -see back page.)
- L’ARCHE COMMUNITY – HERITAGE DAY – Friday, September 20 @ 7:00 pm – St Thomas d’Aquin Church 8410 – 89 Street – Adults $12. Children 5–10 $6. – Under 5 free. Contact Maria 780 465-0618 Ext 206 – see notice board.
- ENCOUNTERS – starts Sunday, September 18 @ 08:00 am.
- BUILDING A BRIGHTER 101 AVENUE – THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 @ Forest Heights School – 10304 – 81 Street. Drop in anytime from 5 to 8 pm. City of Edmonton Kirstin Pachero [email protected] – See notice board.
- IN SEARCH OF ENGLISH TUTORS There are two Liberian families who arrived in Canada one year ago who live in this neighborhood. If you would be willing to volunteer for 1 hour a week with helping a newcomer learn English, please contact Jenny at 780-435-6328.
- GRACE UNITED – SENIOR’S YOUTHFUL GROUP – Wednesday, Sept 21 – 1:30 to 3 pm – Show and tell – Bring an object, pictures, etc. and tell us what you did over the summer. Gardening, touring, hobby?
- THE KING’S UNIVERSITY – Campus Visit Opportunities – Open House – Evening Course: War and Peace and other events – Start up Oct 22. See the notice board for details.
- IGNATIUS SPIRITUAL EXERCISES – JANUARY 2017 – ST. AUGUSTINES, 6110 FUTON ROAD – Twelve-week introduction to Ignition prayer – Contact Rev. Jonathan Crane for information.
- MESSY CHURCH – ST. LUKE’S – October 15 – 4 to 6 pm – Share a meal at this Family-friendly fun way to explore the Story of God’s love.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE FORT McMURRAY AND AREA FIRES, AND FLOODING. PRAY AND CONTINUE TO LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE LOVED AND SUPPORED.
- MULTICULTURAL WOMEN & SENIORS SERVICES ASSOCIATION – Saturday, October 01 – 6:00 pm – Meridian Banquet Hall – 4810 – 76 Avenue – Meet & Greet Speakers/Display & Entertainment – Dinner 8:30 – 9:00 pm. (No children under 12) – Ticket $25.00 pp Contact 780-465-2992 See notice board.
- SUMMER CRITICAL TIME TO GIVE BLOOD – Diocese of Edmonton has pledged to give 100 units of Blood in 2016 – 42 units have been received as of August 15th. For your donation to count towards our goal – register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. VERY CRITICAL.
- FAITH & PUBLIC LIFE with FORMER ALBERTA PREMIER ED STELMACH – Thursday, September 22 @ 7:00 pm – Mill Woods Pentecostal Assembly, 2225 – 66 Street – see The Synod Scene on notice board.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Wednesdays and Thursdays mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Talk to June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
MEN’S COUNCIL – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.