CHURCH IN THE PARK & PARISH PICNIC – Sunday, September 4, 2016 @ 10:30 am in Gold Bar Park – Picnic site #1 – St. A’s, St. David’s and St. Luke’s combined for Morning Service followed by BBQ – social time – kid’s activities – races and prizes. – Bring your parents, kids & grand-kids – All are welcome. PLEASE RSVP TODAY via the church office.
Google Map directions to Site #1 here: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir//53.557772,-firstname.lastname@example.org,-113.407151,304m/data=!3m1!1e3
Regular weekly announcements for:
Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost – Sept. 4, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Printable version here: Sept. 4, 2016
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Starting September 11th – return to regular service times:
8:00AM SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost
Psalm 139:1-6, 13–18
10:30 am Liturgy: Gold Bar Park
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost
Jeremiah 4:11-12, 22-28
1 Timothy 1:12-17
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- CHURCH IN THE PARK & PARISH PICNIC – Sunday, September 4, 2016 @ 10:30 am in Gold Bar Park – Picnic site #1 – St. A’s, St. David’s and St. Luke’s combined for Morning Service followed by BBQ – social time – kid’s activities – races and prizes. – Bring your parents, kids & grand-kids – All are welcome. PLEASE RSVP TODAY at the church office.
- Belles – Will meet at Blu’s on Tuesday, September 13th at 1:30 pm for coffee and/or ice cream. Come to discuss plans for the coming year.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am.
- Simple Supper – Friday, September 30th at 5:30. Come and bring a friend. (Fund raiser for GANG -see back page.)
- ENCOUNTERS – details to be announced.
- ELECTORAL REFORM TOWN HALL – Thursday, September 08 at 7:00pm – Westbury Theatre, Arts Barns 10330 – 84 Avenue – What are your thoughts on changing the way we vote in Canada? Attend or mail your comments or do survey at lindaduncan MP.ca – 780 495-8404.
- BUILDING A BRIGHTER 101 AVENUE – THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 AT Forest Heights School – 10304 – 81 Street. Drop in anytime from 5 to 8 pm. City of Edmonton Kirstin Pachero [email protected] – See notice board.
- IN SEARCH OF ENGLISH TUTORS
There are two Liberian families who arrived in Canada one year ago who live in this neighborhood. They have made great progress in the one year they have been here but they still have a lot to learn in terms of learning to read and write in English. If you would be willing to volunteer for 1 hour a week with helping a newcomer learn English, please contact Jenny at 780-435-6328.
- FORT McMURRAY- Thomas’ Anglican Church has invited the clergy & parishioners of St. Augustine’s to a service of Thanksgiving and Welcome Back in Fort McMurray on Saturday, September 10 at 10:00 am – to be followed by a BBQ lunch and social time. Anyone interested in attending, please speak to Rev. Crane. See notice board.
- GRACE UNITED – SENIOR’S YOUTHFUL GROUP – Wednesday, Sept 21 – 1:30 to 3 pm – Show and tell – Bring an object, pictures, etc. and tell us what you did over the summer. Gardening, touring, hobby?
- THE KING’S UNIVERSITY – Campus Visit Opportunities – Open House – Evening Course: War and Peace and other events – Start up Oct 22. See the notice board for details.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- ASCENSION HOUSE & ST. AIDAN’S HOUSE – currently recruiting new residents for the 2016-17 term – Age group 18 – 25 – call jen at 780 439-7344 – space still available as of September 01.
- PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE FORT McMURRAY AND AREA FIRES, AND FLOODING. PRAY AND CONTINUE TO LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE LOVED AND SUPPORED.
- SUMMER CRITICAL TIME TO GIVE BLOOD – Diocese of Edmonton has pledged to give 100 units of Blood in 2016 – 42 units have been received as of August 15th. For your donation to count towards our goal – register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. Please help if you can. VERY CRITICAL.
- DIOCESE OF BUYE YOUTH CAMP – August 8 – 14 Very successful. Attended by 260 youths: 112 boys & 148 girls. Took part in a number of activities, including fun times, Bible teaching and discussions on responsible sexuality. Helped build a water spring for the local community and repainted the youth centre. The youths requested o hold such an event every summer.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
- The Edmonton Horticulture Society has awarded our garden. Details to come.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Wednesdays and Thursdays mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Talk to June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
The McElhatton School of Irish Dance – Monday and Wednesday nights
MEN’S COUNCIL – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.