SECOND sunday of advent December 4, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable version here: dec-4-2016
Advent donations and service details here: http://staugustinesedmonton.com/advent-christmas-2016-weekly-announcements/
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Second Sunday of Advent
Psalm 72:1-7, 18-19
10:00 am Liturgy: Contemplative
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Third Sunday of Advent – Dec, 11th
Isaiah 35: 1 – 10
Psalm 146: 5 – 10
James 5: 7-10
Matthew 11: 2 – 11
10:00 am Liturgy: Contemplative/healing
Events This Week
- SUNDAY, DECEMBER 04 – THE PARISH IS INVITED TO DECORATE THE CHRISTMAS TREE FOLLOWING THE 10 AM SERVICE. Please have a coffee, egg nog, and goodies and join in the fun of decorating the tree and the Church.
- BISSELL CENTRE – Items for Women – socks, cosmetics, shampoo, shower gel, lotions, perfume, small sweets, bus tickets, coffee gift cards etc. as described for Advent II in the previous mail out (blue sheet).
- CENTERING PRAYER – Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- 2017 CHURCH CALENDARS FOR SALE $5.00 – see Eileen Fairbrother.
- GRACE UNITED CHURCH “Blue Christmas” Service – Sunday, December 11 at 7:00 pm. See poster on notice board. If you plan to attend, would you like to do a reading – Please see Rev. Crane.
- Community Announcements
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am. “In Praise of Light”. These reflections are intended to help us deepen our appreciation of the power, warmth, passion and mystery of fire and light this Advent session as we prepare to celebrate the presence of the Light of the World – at Christmas and in our hearts.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am.
- Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting on Tuesday, December 6th.
- BELLES – watch for updates
- ELSIE GIBSON – Memorial Service SATURDAY, DEC 17 @ 2:00 pm – Good Shepherd Anglican Church. 15495 Castle Downs Road. Elsie was a long-time member of St. A’s and a member of our Choir. If you require a ride, please call Pat Jameson 780 469-0704 or 780 995-2446.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, January 27th – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation – Lauretta 780 466-9510. Thank you.
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES you may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- THIRD ANNUAL FREE COMM0UNITY CHRISTMAS DINNER – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10 @ HARDISTY JUNIOR HIGH 5:00 PM – tickets available – Grace United Church at- 466-0916. Sponsored by Seven Area Faith organizations.
- GRACE UNITED – Senior’s Youthful Group – Annual Christmas Party on Wednesday, December 21 @ 1:30 to 3 pm – bring a Christmas ornament that is meaningful to you and share your story. Christmas goodies to share.
- NO ROOM AT THE INN – This Christmas season “A Safe Place” has been chosen. It is a shelter for women and their children fleeing abuse. Brochures will be available.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- BAKE SALES & CONCERTS – Here are a few – see Synod Scene for details: Dec 3 – St. Patrick’s Edmonton – cookie sale
Dec 3 – Good Shepherd – includes Xmas lunch
Dec 4 – St. Margaret’s Edm – Variety Concert
Dec 10 – St. Stephen the Martyr – Tea & Baking
Dec 10 – St. Luke’s – Bazaar & soup lunch.
- DAVID’S – Wednesday, December 7th at 7:00 pm – A Carol Sing – 79 Avenue & 85 Street – All are welcome Apple cider, hot chocolate & mince tarts will be provided.
- DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – TIME TO GIVE BLOOD –register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. As of Nov. 22, we have donated 68 Units – please help us to reach our goal. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. VERY CRITICAL. Thank you.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
(The MEN’S COUNCIL Has moved to Star of the North Retreat center on Wednesday nights at 7pm. To accommodate St. Albert members.)
Connect with us online!
- Facebook: facebook.com/staugustinesedmonton
2) Website: sign up for immediate blog and event updates www.stugustinesedmonton.com on the BLOG page.