A Reminder…Adult Interest Group
The Tuesday Evening Interest Group begins tomorrow in the Lower Lounge from 7pm-8:30pm.
All dates are October 25, and November 1, 8, 15.
Oct 25 Theme is REVELATION
The book of revelation is a puzzling and mysterious book. What is it about? What do the symbols mean? Why is it a book that brought hope to so many suffering people? Why is it so often misused? Why is it even included in the Bible?
Come and find out!
Wee Reads Initiative in North East Edmonton
Some will remember two weeks ago that Shelley Sabo (of Grace United) spoke to us about an initiative. She wished to pass on the following information in case any seniors might be interested to help out:
Wee Reads Project in NE Edmonton
There are many resilient children in NE Edmonton, who despite early trauma, still come to school. Want to help build a healthy neighbourhood one relationship at a time? Consider becoming a “Wee Reader”. All it takes is 30 minutes a week for 8 weeks.
Sage coordinated a very successful project as detailed in the report below. The school community was so pleased by the caring presence that seniors brought into the school and showed their gratitude in many sweet ways. Now more schools are inviting us to work with them. Everyone is welcome to join us. We will have a meeting in early November.
For more information follow this link here to: our report. Feel free to contact me with any questions or ideas. I would love to hear from you.
Apologies that these missed going out last week. Due to internet issues, we are unable to post the pdf of these announcements at this time.
twenty-second sunday after pentecost Ooctober 23, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost
Joel 2: 23 – 32
2 Timothy 4: 6-8, 16-18
Luke 18: 9 – 14
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost
Habakkuk 1:1-4; 2:1-4
2 Thessalonians 1:1-4, 11-12
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, October 28 – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation – Lauretta 780 466-9510. Thank you.
- CENTERING PRAYER – Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- Book Club meets Tuesday October 25 @ 10:30 am in the Lounge. This month’s book is Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee.
- Tuesday Evening Interest Group– Oct 25, Nov. 1, 8, 15 in lower lounge at 7:00- 8:30. This week, a look at Revelations – a puzzling and mysterious book. Come and find out.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group. NEW TIME – 8:00am
Using John Donahue’s “Hearing the word of God”, reflections on the Sunday Readings from now until the beginning of Advent, November 27th. All are welcome.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting on Tuesday, November 1st.
- IN SEARCH OF ENGLISH TUTORS – There are two Liberian families who arrived in Canada one year ago who live in this neighborhood. If you would be willing to volunteer for 1 hour a week with helping a newcomer learn English, please contact Jenny at 780-435-6328.
- Jeffrey Gilliam, will be giving a special piano concert on Friday, October 28th at 7:30 pm at The King’s University. For more info visit Kingsu.ca
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES you may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- HOPE LUTHERAN – FREE – AFTERNOON OF THE ARTS – Saturday, October 22 @ 1:30 pm – 5104 – 106 Avenue – see poster
- Benefit Concert & Silent Auction Featuring Jaylene Johnson and two live painters: Saturday November 5th at Trinity Christian Reformed Church (13427 – 57 st).
- SALVATION ARMY – ARTS, CRAFTS & BAKE SALE – NOV. 4 & 5 @ Edmonton Temple – 9115 – 75 Street – Fri. Nov 04 – 4 to 8 pm and Sat. Nov 5 – 9:30 am to 4:00 pm.- see notice board.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- TAIZE PRAYERS – A service od song, silence and contemplation as been cancelled for October 2016 – next Taize service Nov. 15th.
- SUPPORT FOR SENIORS – SEE SYNOD SCENE – Through her business – Life long Anglican, provides guanine care for seniors. Lina-Dee Andres – 780 446-6918 – You can arrange help for transportation, companionship, to and from doctor’s appointments, meal preparations, laundry services and more.
- CAPITAL REGION INTERFAITH HOUSING INITIATIVE – Thursday, October 27 – 10am – 12 pm at Beth Israel Synagogue 131 Wolf Willow Road. For information – Rabbanit Batya Friedman 780 938-5558.
- BOOK & BAKE SALE – George’s – 11733 – 87 Avenue (by U of A) on Saturday, November 19 – 9 am to 2 pm – Great for Christmas shoppers. Lunch will be available.
- DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – TIME TO GIVE BLOOD –register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. VERY CRITICAL.
- Lots more information in the Synod Scene – a copy of the recent information is on the notice board downstairs.
- Fall clean-up has occured and the beds finally laid to rest :)
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
MEN’S COUNCIL – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.