Healing Service, Advent III, Dec 11, 2016
We think of how Jesus heals – laying hands on the person who is sick and praying for them before his heavenly Father. We pray this Sunday in that pattern set before us in a simple healing service of anointing and laying on of hands for those who wish. We all carry various vulnerabilities and brokenness within us and we need to hear the news that God loves us as we are and that these weaknesses are not the end of us. Advent is a time of learning strength in weakness and hope in despair – all things are possible with God! Healing prayer is one way that we are reminded of God’s love and God’s hope in our weakness. And indeed, as Jesus prayed for the sick, it is our prayer that we would know real wholeness in our bodies, minds, and spirits. May it be so. It is also common that someone might come forward for prayers for someone else, and to receive prayers in their stead.
third sunday of advent December 11, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable announcements here: dec-11-2016b
ADVENT & CHRISTMAS DETAILS HERE
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
ADVENT & CHRISTMAS DETAILS ON SEPRATE SHEET OR ONLINE.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Third Sunday of Advent – Dec, 11th
Isaiah 35: 1 – 10
Psalm 146: 5 – 10
James 5: 7-10
Matthew 11: 2 – 11
10:00 am Liturgy: Contemplative/Healing
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fourth Sunday of Advent – Dec, 18th
Isaiah 7: 10 – 16
Psalm 80: 1 – 7, 17-19
Romans 1: 1-7
Matthew 1: 18 – 25
10:00 am Liturgy: Contemplative
Events This Week
- BISSELL CENTRE – Please Bring Children’s gifts –> Infant (0-2): Clothes, Rattles, Plush Toys, Musical Toys. Children (3-11): Coloring Books, Puzzles, Lego, Cars & Trucks, Barbies, Dolls, Sesame Street, Toys, Children’s Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Bubble Bath. Teens: Remote Control Vehicles, Craft or Science Sets, Hand Held Electronic Games, Sporting Goods (Soccer/ Footballs). Cosmetics (Nail Polish, Hair Accessories, Makeup), Hoodies, Gift Cards
- CENTERING PRAYER – Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- 2017 CHURCH CALENDARS FOR SALE $5.00 – see Eileen Fairbrother.
- HOPE MISSION – EMBRACE CHARITY 3RD ONLINE CHRISTMAS AUCTION – To donate or help – [email protected] or call 780 200-9935
- GRACE UNITED CHURCH “Blue Christmas” Service – Sunday, December 11 at 7:00 pm. See poster on notice board. If you plan to attend, would you like to do a reading – Please see Rev. Crane.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am. “In Praise of Light”. These reflections are intended to help us deepen our appreciation of the power, warmth, passion and mystery of fire and light this Advent session as we prepare to celebrate the presence of the Light of the World – at Christmas and in our hearts.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am.
Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting on Tuesday, December 20th.
- BELLES – watch for updates
- ELSIE GIBSON – Memorial Service SATURDAY, DEC 17 @ 2:00 pm – Good Shepherd Anglican Church. 15495 Castle Downs Road. Elsie was a long-time member of St. A’s and a member of our Choir. If you require a ride, please call Pat Jameson 780 469-0704 or 780 995-2446.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, January 27th – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation – Lauretta 780 466-9510. Thank you.
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES you may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- THIRD ANNUAL FREE COMM0UNITY CHRISTMAS DINNER – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10 @ HARDISTY JUNIOR HIGH 5:00 PM – tickets available – Grace United Church at- 466-0916. Sponsored by Seven Area Faith organizations.
- GRACE UNITED – Senior’s Youthful Group – Annual Christmas Party on Wednesday, December 21 @ 1:30 to 3 pm – bring a Christmas ornament that is meaningful to you and share your story. Christmas goodies to share.
- WORLD DAY OF PRAYER – MARCH 2017 – First meeting on Monday, January 9 @ 1:30pm at St. Luke’s 8424 – 95 Avenue
- NO ROOM AT THE INN – This Christmas season “A Safe Place” has been chosen. It is a shelter for women and their children fleeing abuse. Brochures will be available.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE THIS ADVENT – if you are able. The DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – TIME IS RUNNING OUT TO GIVE BLOOD – register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. As of Nov. 22, we have donated 68 Units – please help us to reach our goal. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. VERY CRITICAL. Thank you.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE – If this is of interest to you – email for up-to-date information – [email protected]
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY – Volunteers needed on construction sites for Pre-fab shops – February 23 to April 27, 2017. Watch for information to come on Carter Place 2017 – Former US President Jimmy Carter & Rosalynn Carter will be in Edmonton in July. 150 homes will be built in Canada to mark our country’s 150th birthday – 75 of these in Edmonton area – site requires 30 volunteers per day. Register as a volunteer and sign up for shifts on the website.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.