Thirteenth Sunday after pentecost, AUG 14, 2016
Printable copy here: August 14, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
9:30 (one service for the summer) Our main service of Worship which changes with the Church seasons and always includes Holy Communion and kid’s time.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost
Isaiah 5: 1–7
Psalm 80: 1–2, 8-18
Hebrews 11: 29 – 12: 2
Luke 12: 49-56
9:30 am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost
9:30 am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- SUMMER HOURS – ONE SERVICE @ 09:30 AM.
- BELLES, ENCOUNTERS, SIMPLE SUPPER AND TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – watch for start-up times at the end of August.
- YOUTHFUL SENIOR’S GROUP – WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17 – 1:30 TO 3:00 PM – meet at St. Augustine’s Community garden for a tour followed by tea and goodies at Grace United Church. Contact is Lauretta Howard 780 466-9510 – free event – everyone welcome.
- FIRE STATION -FREE- OPEN HOUSE – SATURDAY, AUGUST 20 – 12 to 4 PM – Station 6, Mill Creek Community Fire Station, 8105 – 96 Street. Learn more about fire safety & firefighting – FAMILY EVENT. SEE POSTER ON NOTICE BOARD – Contact 780 423-5279.
- BUILDING A BRIGHTER 101 AVENUE – THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 AT Forest Heights School – 10304 – 81 Street. Drop in anytime from 5 to 8 pm. City of Edmonton Kirstin Pachero [email protected] – See notice board.
- CHURCH IN THE PARK & PARISH PICNIC – Sunday, September 4, 2016 @ 10:30 am in Gold Bar Park – Picnic site #1 – St. A’s and St. Luke’s combined for Morning Service followed by BBQ – social time – kid’s activities – races and prizes. – Bring your parents, kids & grand-kids – All are welcome. Come and join the fun. NOW LISTED IN THE SYNOD SCENE.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- HABITAT for HUMANITY – 5th Annual Interfaith Build – July 07 to August 25, 2016 –HELP STILL NEEDED AS OF August 11.
- ASCENSION HOUSE & ST. AIDAN’S HOUSE -currently recruiting new residents for the 2016-17 term. Age group 18 – 25. PLEASE CALL JEN AT 780 439-7344. SPACE STILL AVAILABLE – AUGUST 11.
- PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE FORT McMURRAY AND AREA FIRES, AND THE RECENT FLOODING – PRAY AND CONTINUE TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY ARE LOVED AND SUPPORTED.
- FRINGE FESTIVAL RETURNS TO HOLY TRINITY! August 11 to 21 – Holy Trinity Anglican will be hosting 9 wonderful plays as well as opening the popular Tea Room complete with fresh homemade scones. For details call 780 433-5530.
*****FRINGE – SPECIAL NOTE***** TRAIL & ERROR written by one of our Parishioners – Linda Wood-Edwards playing at the Strathcona Branch Library, Venue 3 – 8331 – 104 Street – August 12 to 21 – matinee and evening times – DETAILS ON notice board downstairs.
- MESSY PICNIC @ THE FRINGE – SUNDAY, AUGUST 21– Holy Trinity Church 10037 – 84 Avenue – 2:30 pm – Family fun –FREE – NO RSVP – IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS – Contact: Rev Heather 780 433-5530.
- SUPERHEROES – VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL @ GOOD SHEPHERD CHURCH – Monday Aug 15 to Friday Aug 19 – Children age 6 and older Cost $30.00 per child – Registrations forms available 780 456-4643.
- SUMMER CRITICAL TIME TO GIVE BLOOD – Diocese of Edmonton has pledged to give 100 units of blood in 2016 – for your donation to count towards our goal, register online at www.blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888-236-6283 to book or to speak to a nurse if you have eligibility questions. VERY CRITICAL – August 11.
- OLIVER COMMUNITY BBQ – August 12 & 26 – 12116 – 102 Avenue – FREE BBQ’S – Looking for Volunteers to help – Do we have any Teens looking for something to do? Contact Rev. Nick @ [email protected]
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
- Front yards in Bloom – we have been nominated for the 2016 Blooms Award. The awards presentation is Thursday, August 25 @ 7:00pm Shoctor Theatre – Admission Free.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s (continuing in the fall):
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Wednesdays and Thursdays mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Talk to June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
The McElhatton School of Irish Dance – Monday and Wednesday nights
MEN’S COUNCIL – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.
Connect with us online!
- Facebook: facebook.com/staugustinesedmonton
2) Website: sign up for immediate blog and event updates www.stugustinesedmonton.com on the BLOG page.