Note: Healing Service. This Sunday we will have opportunity for anointing with oil as part of the service. If you know anyone who seeks healing in their life, please invite them. As well, you may wish to come forward for anointing on behalf of someone else who is unable to be present.
**Palm Sunday** this year, where we remember Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem, will be a little different…Instead of ordering palm fronds from the Middle East, your Altar Guild has elected to use local emblems in our worship. We are asking that you consider bringing your own items to wave as if we were welcoming Christ in our own place and time. Some ideas used by other churches for this have been: pussy willow branches, cedar boughs, and other such natural items. We will have a few on hand, but please bring something for yourself and maybe a few extra if you can
THIRD SUNDAY IN LENT – MARCH 26, 2017
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable announcements: March 26, 2017
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fourth Sunday in Lent – March 26
1 Samuel 16: 1 – 13
Ephesians 5: 8 – 14
10:00 am Contemplative LENT
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fourth Sunday in Lent – April 2
Ezekiel 37: 1 – 14
Romans 8: 6 – 11
10:00 am Contemplative LENT
Please remember in your prayers this week:
For the sick or in hospital – Rev. Glen Bresee @ General Hospital Unit 9
Rachel, Caresse, Joey, Justin
EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- THURSDAY NIGHTS IN LENT @ St. Augustines – 6 – 7 pm sharp. Starting on Thursday, March 09 “Living as an Urban Monastic – Benedictine Spiritually in Daily Life”. Signup sheet downstairs.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am. Encounters with Val McCormack. Everyone welcome.
- CENTERING PRAYER – Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- WOMEN’S BIKE DONATED -Thank you to David & Camille Wiens. Very much appreciated.
- AUGUSTINE’S – SIMPLE FUNDRAISING FOR CHURCH PROJECTS – IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN EXPLORING OPTIONS TO DO SOME SIMPLE FUNDRAISING, please speak to your People’s Warden Joyce.
- ***IDEAS*** Your Vestry is inviting ideas for mission initiatives that might make use of available REACH FUNDS. See the poster or handbill for more info.
- SOUND SYSTEM UPGRADE – As per congregational feedback, Vestry approved @ just under $10,000. Installation in March 2017. We have donations of $4,000. Leaving $6,000. to come from our capital reserves. If anyone would like to contribute, you may make a specific donation to help cover the remaining costs, it would be much appreciated.
- EASTER VIGIL – Saturday, April 15 at St. David’s Anglican Church – 8:00 pm
- CHEQUES PAYABLE TO ST. AUGUSTINE’S – the TD Bank has advised they will no longer accept cheques payable to St. Augustines Church all cheques MUST READ “ST. AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY ANGLICAN CHURCH”. Thank you.
- RETREAT – STRAWBERRY CREEK – MAY 26, 27 & 28 – CONTACT – PAT @ 780 469-0704 for details. Everyone welcome
- VIOLENCE DIVINE @ St A’s –TUESDAYS – Next class on Tuesday, March 28th at 7:00 pm. Please advise Val McCormack if you will be attending.
- BELLES – watch for upcoming events
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting Tuesday, March 28.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, March 31st – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation at the church office. Thank you.
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES -You may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- SENIOR YOUTHFUL GROUP – WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19 @ GRACE UNITED CHURCH –1:30 TO 3:00 PM – “Downsizing with Lynn Fraser” Sharing tips and tricks on what to do with that extra stuff in our homes.
- ANGLICAN EDUCATIONAL CHAPLAINCY GALA DINNER – Wednesday, May 03 @ 5:30 pm – University of Alberta Faculty Club
Tickets are $75.00 – tax receipt of $25.00 for each ticket purchased. Buy at Synod office or on line – educationalchaplaincy.eventbrite.ca
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- CHRONOS – (vocal ensemble) SUNDAY, MARCH 26 @ 7:30 pm at All Saints’ Cathedral – tickets Adults $20.00, Seniors/Students $15.00 in advance at Tix on the Square/The Gramophone or $23.00 and $18.00 at the door.
- ANGLICAN FOUNDATON OF CANADA – 2017 CELEBRATING 60th ANIVERSARY – Details of plans coming soon – Limited Elegant design & tailor made limited edition of 100 “Anniversary Hope Bears” with outfits. $60.00 each – Available in May 2017.
- GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE – The DIOCESE OF EDMONTON CAMPAIGN 2017 – a new goal of 100 units – call 1 888 236-6283 for an appointment – Please give Partner ID: ANGL 696986 .
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY – Volunteers needed on construction sites for Pre-fab shops – February 23 to April 27, 2017. Watch for information to come on Carter Place 2017 – Former US President Jim & Rosalynn Carter in Edmonton in July. 150 homes to be built in Canada marking our 150th birthday – 75 in Edmonton area – requires 30 volunteers per day. Register – sign up for shifts on the website.
Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.