sixth sunday after epiphany – february 12, 2017
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable copy here: Feb. 12, 2017
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Sixth Sunday after the Epiphany
Matthew 5: 21 – 37
10:00 am Contemplative EPIPHANY
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Seventh Sunday after the Epiphany
Matthew 5: 38 – 48
10:00 am Contemplative EPIPHANY
Please remember in your prayers this week:
For the sick or in hospital – Rev. Glen Bresee, Jenny Nunes, Edna Tyler, Vera Morris, Rachel, Joe & Dorothy, Nate.
In mourning – Lauretta Howard & family in the loss of Mitchell Howard
-In Mourning – Family of Verna Wilson, long time parishioner.
-In Mourning – Shaina Rose, Faith & Tristan in recent loss of Shari Jones, Mother and Grandmother.
EVENTS THIS WEEK:
CENTERING PRAYER – St. Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- 2017 CHURCH CALENDARS FOR SALE $5.00 – see Eileen Fairbrother.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am. Encounters with Val McCormack. Everyone welcome.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting Tuesday, February 21.
- BELLES – FEBRUARY 14TH TUESDAY: LUNCH AT THE ANTIQUE MALL Meet at church @ 11 am to car pool. We need to advise numbers. Lunch menu is simple but good. (Soup, sandwiches, nice desserts) Address: 10323 78Ave. Contact person: Eileen Fairbrother
- SENIOR YOUTHFUL GROUP 2017 – Wednesday, February 15 Valentine’s tea @ Grace United at 1:30 to 3 :00 pm – Please RSVP by Fri. Feb 10th to 780 466-0916. Everyone welcome.
- LENTEN RETREAT MORNING @ St.A’s – Wednesday, February 22 – 9am–1pm Lunch provided/freewill offering – RSVP to 780 466-5532
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, February 24th – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation at the church office. Thank you.
- SHROVE TUESDAY – PANCAKES – TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28 – 5-7 PM
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES -You may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- VIOLENCE DIVINE @ St A’s – Wednesdays, March 1, 8, 15 & 29 – 1:30pm to 3:30pm – Facilitator – Val McCormack 780 410-1571.
- WORLD DAY OF PRAYER – Friday, March 03, 2017 at 7:00 PM – St. Luke’s Church, 8424 – 95 Avenue. Everyone welcome.
- RHYTHM OF LIFE WORKSHOP – @ St A’s – Saturday, March 11 – 9am to 12pm – Spend 3 hours and walk away with a new vison of how your life interacts with the life of God. We will explore the theology, tools and approaches that have been used for millennia to shape their rhythms of holy living – RSVP by March 2 [email protected]
- IN SUPPORT OF YOUNG LIFE – Saturday March 11 – Goldbar Hall – 7 to 11 pm – Silent Auction & Dessert – Tickets $10 ea. Craft Beer & Wine sampling – 100% of profits to better lives of youth see notice board. Contact Jorgen 780 405-5454
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE – The DIOCESE OF EDMONTON CAMPAIGN 2017 – a new goal of 100 units – call 1 888 236-6283 for an appointment – Please give Partner ID: ANGL 696986 .
- BLANKET DRIVE – STILL NEEDED – Edmonton emergency Relief Services Society – in need of blankets & winter clothing to help stock the warm-up vans & to give directly to the homeless as the Cold Arctic air settles in. Please bring to Church or any drop off locations in Synod Scene on notice board down stairs.
- BE STILL – Lenten Retreat with Bishop Jane Alexander – Thursday, MARCH 3 to Friday, Mar 04 – Live in $135 or Commute $95.00 – register at Star of the North 780 459-5511 by February 24, 2017.
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY – Volunteers needed on construction sites for Pre-fab shops – February 23 to April 27, 2017. Watch for information to come on Carter Place 2017 – Former US President Jim & Rosalynn Carter in Edmonton in July. 150 homes to be built in Canada marking our 150th birthday – 75 in Edmonton area – requires 30 volunteers per day. Register – sign up for shifts on the website.
- YOUTH – FULL-MOON WINTER ADVENTURE CAMP – MARCH 10 – 12 It’s a FULL MOON weekend of winter sports, bonfire’s, indoor games, crafts, music, worship and great food. Daniels’s farm (approx. 40 minutes west of Edmonton near Onoway). Cost $50.00 – Must register by February 25th to [email protected].
- END POVERTY – EDMONTON (EPE) AND DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 09 – to launch a separate entity to oversee a Five-Year Road Map aimed at the elimination of poverty in Edmonton. More details in the February issue of The Messenger.
Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.