Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
16th Sunday after Pentecost– September 9, 2018
Printable Announcements: September 9, 2018
Reminder: No more summer schedule!
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF HOLY COMMUNION, NURSERY
AND KID’S ACTIVITIES.
Don’t forget, Sunday is your last chance to bring Food Bank items to the church for collection!
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
16th Sunday after Pentecost Sept 9
Proverbs 22: 1-2, 8-9, 22-23
James 2: 1-17
Mark 7: 24-37
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
17th Sunday after Pentecost Sept 16
Proverbs 1: 20-33
James 3: 1-12
Mark 8: 27-38
Please remember in your prayers this week:
The sick or/in hospital – Edna, Linda, Don, Justin, Ed Yuzda, Jody, Lydia.
For those in mourning: Barb & Dan Ash in the loss of Barbara’s mother Aurelie Shewchuk, Dawn Miller/Megan Crane in the loss of their Mother/Grandmother – Betty Lewis. Memorial service at St. A’s. Saturday, September 8th at 1:00 pm.
St. A’s EVENTS THIS WEEK
- CANADIAN CHURCH CALENDARS FOR 2019 ARE NOW AVAILABLE Cost is $5.00 each. Please see Eileen Fairbrother for your copy.
- BELLES AND BEAUS – Tuesday, Sept. 11th meeting at Blu’s at 2:00 pm for coffee and ice cream for a planning session. Please bring your ideas and dates you can help. Everyone welcome.
- FOOD BANK – Sept. 2 & 9 – please bring a donation of food or money for the food bank. Every donation is appreciated. Thank U
- THE FOLLOWING GROUPS WILL BE STARTING UP SOON:– Encounters – 8:00 am Sunday mornings – study groupSt. A’s EVENTS COMING UP
- – Morning Prayers – 8:45 am Mon to Friday.
- PASTORAL CARE – A new pastoral care group has been formed at the Church regarding our concern on how to reach out to those who are homebound, sick or in need in our congregation. The committee meets in the Church on the last Tuesday of each month at 1:00 pm. If you have any concerns for a parishioner, please advise Rev. Crane or Phyllis Molyneux.
- VERA MORRIS – Vera had a broken hip repaired in February. It is not healing well and she is in the Glenrose Hospital – D3 if anyone would like to drop in to say “hello”.
- Coffee fundraiser for medical cards for seniors in Buye Diocese
- Please join us for coffee on September 23 or 30. Cost is
$5.00 pp. Details in the Synod Scene and on the notice board. Please help us to accomplish this request. Thank you.
- Blessing of Backpacks, September 16, 2018 – A blessing of backpacks. Please join us for some prayers for students as they begin a new school year as well as any teachers among us. Goodies downstairs as always.
- Save the date: Saturday, September 22nd, 2018, 10am-3pm “An All Parish Event” where we will welcome the Ven. Richard King (St. Luke’s) – our Archdeacon for mission in the Diocese, who will introduce us to the Diocesan “ID” process. It has proved very successful in helping people understand how God uses us as individuals in every-Christian ministry.
- Wed. September 19 from 1:30 to 3:00 pm @ Grace United Church “Welcome Back!” – Catch up on summer and listen to some old-time radio shows. Everyone welcome.
- Friday, Sept. 28 – Heritage Day with L’Arche Community. Fundraiser – start @ 7:00 pm at St. Thomas D’Aquin Church, 8410 – 89 Street – Tickets – $15.00 A and $8 for C. Free for children under 5 years. Dress in your Ethnic Clothing, Come & celebrate our Cultural Diversity with various ethnic food and entertainment – see notice board.
- GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP @ Grace United Church – Tuesday commencing September 11 to December 4 from 1:30 to 3:30 pm in the Sunshine Room Basement. 780-466-0916. No charge. Everyone welcome, but must register.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office, so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
LOST & FOUND AT GRACE UNITED – JUNE 10TH. – A CALL FROM GRACE UNITED CHURCH TO ADVISE THAT THEY HAVE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS THAT MAY BELONG TO SOMEONE AT ST. AUGUSTINE’S.
- Child’s rubber boots with flower design
- ADULT JACKET dark grey with olive green trim – brand “arcterx” xxl. We are advised that whoever left this jacket took a smilar one belonging to a grace parishioner – call June g. 780 469-0733.
Anglican and Beyond
Anglicans are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
Bishop Jane invites us to pray for Bishop Sixbert and the Diocese of Buye.
- PARTNERS IN SAVING LIVES –DONATE BLOOD – Our Partner ID for Diocese is ANGL696986. Diocese hopes to raise 150 donations by Dec.31, 2018. To donate call 1 888 236-6283. Donations as of August 9th are at 38 – Long way to go. Please call and donate.
PLEASE CHECK THE NOTICE BOARD FOR MORE EVENTS & DETAILS
- KING’S UNIVERSITY – See new information on notice board for SEPTEMBER 2018 events – applications, registration, Tours etc.
- STUDENT MINISTRY – DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE ATTENDING THE U OF VIC THIS FALL WHO WOULD APPRECIATE CONTACT WITH OUR ANGLICAN STUDENT MINISTRY? PLEASE PASS THEIR NAMES AND CONTACT NUMBER TO REV. CRANE.GARDEN UPDATES
- Check out the garden of lights at night.
- Sherry Prokopuk is our Parish representative.
- Fulton Place Annual Gardener’s Swap & Sale – Saturday, Sept 08 – 9am to Noon @ Fulton Place Community Hall. Seedlings, perennials, house plants, garden supplies & lots more available. You are welcome to bring items to trade. For more info call Doreen 780 469-9289. See notice board.
Through the week at st. a’s
MUSIC TOGETHER – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
Education for Ministry – Thursday nights – a four- year certificate in theology.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.