SECOND SUNDAY IN LENT, FEBRUARY 25, 2018
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable Announcements: February 25, 2018
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF HOLY COMMUNION, NURSERY
AND KID’S ACTIVITIES.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
2nd Sunday in Lent – Feb. 25
Genesis 17: 1-7, 15-16
Psalm 22: 23-31
Romans 4: 13-25
Mark 8: 31-38
10:00am – BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
3RD Sunday in Lent – March 4
Exodus 20: 1 – 17
1 Corinthians 1; 18 – 25
John 2: 13 – 22
10:00am – BAS
Please remember in your prayers this week:
For the sick or in hospital – Justin, Harry & Hertha, Edna, Michael, Allen and Family, Diane D., Joey, Larry, Connie.
For those in mourning – Family & friends of Bernie Bart:: June Miller & Family of Bill Miller: Family & friends of Florence: Family & friends of Betty Chalmers.
St. A’s EVENTS THIS WEEK
- MORNING PRAYERS – Monday thru Friday – 08:45 am in the Chapel
Monday – Lectio Divina on upcoming Sunday Gospel reading
Tuesday – Holy Communion
Wed/Thu/Fri. – Simple Anglican Morning Prayer
You are welcome to drop in any days you like.
- 2017 CHARITABLE RECEIPTS HAVE BEEN MAILED OUT – If you do not receive yours in the next week, please call the office at 780 466-5532.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8am in the Lounge downstairs. Everyone welcome.
- TUESDAYS AT BLU’S JAVA BAR –Open discussion group– meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 10:00 am at Blu’s Café at 50th Street & 106th Next meeting will be on March 6th.
- WORLD DAY OF PRAYER – FRIDAY, March 02 at 7:00 pm at Strathearn United Church, 8510 – 95 Avenue. If you are interested in volunteering to be on this committee, please advise Rev. Crane or June Greig
- STRAWBERRY CREEK RETREAT – JUNE 1, 2 & 3 – A handout will be available at Church on Sunday.
St. A’s EVENTS COMING UP
- PASTORAL CARE – A new pastoral care group has been formed at the Church to be concerned with how we reach out to those who are homebound, sick or in need in our congregation. For more information speak to Rev. Crane or Phyllis Molineux.
- THE BELLES – Monday, February 19th, Brian Latonas provided us with very interesting photos of the trip that he and Wilma took to Lithuania. His commentary on the history and other details of the area were very informative and funny. THANK YOU BRIAN. Watch for details on the next Belles meeting.
- NEIGHBOUR MEETING – Saturday, February 24th – 6 to 7 pm Greater Hardisty ‘community Sustainability Coalition “POT LUCK DINNER” – Limited capacity – please register online at https://hardistypotluck.eventbrite.ca or call 780 885-9529. Children are welcome to eat and/or watch a movie upstairs. Babysitters available.
- WATCH FOR NEW MOVIE “I CAN ONLY IMAGINE” Coming to theatres March 16 – See notice board.
A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office, so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican and Beyond
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
The Bishop invites us to pray for our brothers and sisters in Buye Diocese who are suffering from the effects of drought.
- There is now a Designated Refugee Sponsorship Fund for those wishing to support the refugee sponsorship initiative through Hope Lutheran Church (Remember Vicky Archer who spoke to us about this?) Any person wishing to donate to this fund should forward their money to Hope Lutheran Church, in an envelope with their full name, mailing address and phone number and be clearly marked for the “Sponsorship Fund.” A record of donors will be maintained in the chance that the proposed sponsorship does not go ahead.
PLEASE CHECK THE NOTICE BOARD FOR MORE EVENTS & DETAILS
- KING’S UNIVERSITY – 2018 – NEW 25 CONTINUING EDUCATON COURSES – something for everyone. See new information for March 2018 on notice board.
- EDMONTON OIL KINGS – FRIDAY, MARCH 2 @ 7:00 PM – Hockey game – Oil Kings and Calgary Hitman – tickets $18.00. If you are interested – advise Rev. Crane regarding arrangements for group tickets. See notice in Synod Scene.
- EDUCATIONAL CHAPLAINCY DINNER – APRIL 6 AT St. Matthias Church, 6210 – 188 Street, (new location). This is an important fundraiser for the dioceses’ Anglican Student Ministries. Theme is “Gracious Speech” with guest speakers Andrew Muztagh and Adam Lee – Tickets available on Evenbrite. See Synod Scene on notice b.
- COLLECTIVE KITCHEN – Salvation Army Edmonton Temple. Weekly classes – ‘Wednesdays, 5:30 to 8:00 pm – 9115 – 75 Street starting – February 21st – 780 469-6846 to register – Cost is $3.00 person or $6. For a family – Child care available. See N.B.
- Check out the garden at night as there are many lights and decorations! Look for the garden potluck and pre-season meeting in April 2018.
- Clayton Ernst our Parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT ST, A’s
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
Education for Ministry – Thursday nights – a four- year certificate in theology.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.