FOURTH sUNDAY AFTER ePIPHANY, JANUARY 28, 2018
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable Announcements Here: January 28^J 2018
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF HOLY COMMUNION, NURSERY
AND KID’S ACTIVITIES.
|Sunday, January 28, 2018
4th Sunday after Epiphany
Deuteronomy 18: 15-20
1 Corinthians 8: 1-13
Mark 1: 21-28
10:00am – BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
5th Sunday after Epiphany Feb 4
Isaiah 40: 21-31
Psalm 147: 1-11, 20c
1 Corinthians 9: 16-23
Mark 1: 29-39
10:00am – BAS
Please remember in your prayers this week:
For the sick or in hospital – Allen & Florence; Alan Herchuk; Jason; Mary; Michael; Justin, Harry, Edna, June Miller.
For those in mourning –Joyce Taylor & Family of Herb Taylor, Eileen Fairbrother & Family of Marie Fairbrother, June Miller & Family of Bill Miller, Bob Turner & Family of Lucy Turner, Rev. Sheila Hagan-Bloxham & Family of John Bloxham, Family of Ivan.
St. A’s EVENTS THIS WEEK
- MORNING PRAYERS – Monday thru Friday – 08:45 am in the Chapel Tuesday – Holy CommunionYou are welcome to drop in any days you like.
- Wed/Thu/Fri. – Simple Anglican Morning Prayer
- Monday – Lectio Divina on upcoming Sunday Gospel reading
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am in the lounge downstairs. Everyone welcome.
St. A’s EVENTS COMING UP
- TUESDAYS AT BLU’S JAVA BAR –Open discussion group– meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 10:00 am at Blu’s Café at 50th Street & 106th Avenue. Next meeting will be on Feb. 6th.
- PASTORAL CARE – A new pastoral care group has been formed at the Church to be concerned with how we reach out to those who are homebound, sick or in need in our congregation. For more information speak to Rev. Crane or Phyllis Molineux.
- THE BELLES – Please watch for upcoming information and date of next meeting.
- ALTAR GUILD AGM – Saturday, January 27 –@ 10:00 am in the Church Chapel
- AGM – SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2018 – Capital Spending Next Year As part of our budget process for next year, vestry would like to make a priority list and plan for building maintenance upgrades and initiatives that would draw from our capital-designated reserves. If you have ideas for this, please let wardens or Dave Wiens know. We will prioritize these at the AGM.
- AGM FEBRUARY 11, 2018 – Vestry/Warden– with thanks to those who have served these last three years, St, Augustine’s will need a People’s Warden, a vestry clerk and there is room for other members as well. Vestry is our church council and wardens our key parish leaders. Please think and pray about who you would like to serve in these ways and ask them! It may even be you. Members to be ratified and commissioned at the AGM.
- LENTEN RETREAT – Wednesday, February 7 – 9am to 1 pm. Watch for more information.
- NEIGHBOUR MEETING – St. Augustine’s will host this meeting – Saturday, February 24th. More details to come.
A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office, so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican and Beyond
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
The Bishop invites us to pray for our brothers and sisters in Buye Diocese who are suffering from the effects of drought.
- There is now a Designated Refugee Sponsorship Fund for those wishing to support the refugee sponsorship initiative through Hope Lutheran Church (Remember Vicky Archer who spoke to us about this?) Any person wishing to donate to this fund should forward their money to Hope Lutheran Church, in an envelope with their full name, mailing address and phone number and be clearly marked for the “Sponsorship Fund.” A record of donors will be maintained in the chance that the proposed sponsorship does not go ahead.
PLEASE CHECK THE NOTICE BOARD FOR MORE EVENTS & DETAILS
- KING’S UNIVERSITY – 2018 – NEW 25 CONTINUING EDUCATON COURSES – something for everyone. The Junior String Orchestra is offered at a great price: History of Christianity and more.
- PWRDF Development Fund: Sends its thanks to the Diocese of Edmonton for its recent generous donation of $10,318.40 (funds donated through parish offerings). This gift will support preventative health, mother and child wellness, food security and nutrition, clean water and sanitation, Indigenous culture and language reclamation, economic empowerment, and emergency humanitarian response both here in Canada and in more than 25 countries around the world. See page 2 of the Synod Scene.
- Check out the garden at night as there are many lights and decorations! Look for the garden potluck and pre-season meeting in April 2018.
- Clayton Ernst our Parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT ST, A’s
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
Education for Ministry – Thursday nights – a four- year certificate in theology.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.